Last Modified: June 21, 2023
Your personal information will also be collected by Monash University for the purposes of delivering the Program to you. This will include Monash University collecting information about your participation in the Program, including for the purposes of issuing your completion certificate, providing student support to you (including any facilities made available to you in connection with the Program (e.g. library services) and communicating with you about other activities or courses offered by Monash University.
For further information about how Monash University handles your personal information, please refer to their Data Protection and Privacy Procedure and their Monash University Short Study Course Data Protection and Privacy Collection Statement or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
edX Boot Camps and its affiliates are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APP).
Quick Guide to Contents
- Collection of Information
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Disclose Your Information
- Information Security and Data Retention
- Accessing and Managing Your Personal Information
- Additional Information
Collection of Information
Information You Provide
edX Boot Camps collects information from you when you choose to provide it to us. For example, we collect your information when you submit a webform requesting information about edX Boot Camps-powered Programs, or otherwise contact us or provide information to us through the Website. The information we collect may include personal information – such as your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, and the content of any communications that we exchange – as well as non-personal information when you:
- indicate an interest in the Program or forming an enterprise partnership with edX Boot Camps (you may unsubscribe from promotional emails by clicking “unsubscribe” on the emails you receive from us);
- create an account;
- attend a webinar;
- register or apply for the Program, either directly with us, through your employer, or through some other means;
- make a payment;
- participate in our surveys, promotions, and competitions;
- sign up for a newsletter;
- communicate with us, for example by submitting queries regarding the Website or a Program; and
- use the Website.
In some cases, we require your personal information in order to perform a contract or to comply with a legal obligation.
Information Automatically Collected
Information Collected from Other Sources
Where permitted by law, we collect or receive information about you from the School, your employer, companies to which you indicate that you would like to learn more about the Program, companies that are our partners, companies to which you’ve provided your information for professional or continuing education opportunities, employers or potential employers, 2U, Inc., or 2U, Inc.’s affiliated companies (collectively “Other Sources”) in order to update or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically, as described above in Information Automatically Collected. We use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, to target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services or other offers that may be of interest to you, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes. Personal information is collected from Other Sources with consent of the data subject where such consent is required or, otherwise, for the purposes of our legitimate interests, as further described in How We Use Your Information.
Our Combination of Your Information
We combine the information we receive from and about you via the Website and from Other Sources to help us tailor our communications to you and to improve the Website.
Failure to Provide Personal Information
Failure to provide certain information may make it difficult or impossible for you to access some services through the Website. You should ensure that personal information submitted to us is accurate and up-to-date. For example, we need a current email address to communicate with you about the Program.
How We Use Your Information
Purposes for Collecting and Processing Personal Information
We process personal information for the following purposes:
- To fulfill a contract or take steps linked to a contract, including:
- providing our services;
- verifying your identity;
- taking payments;
- communicating with you.
- To conduct edX Boot Camps’ business and pursue our legitimate interests in marketing our business, ensuring that we conduct our business in line with our objectives, improving and developing our products and services, and keeping our records accurate and up to date. This includes:
- using your information to provide products and services you have requested and responding to any comments or complaints you may send us;
- personalizing your experience with the Website and helping us to better respond to your individual needs;
- targeting advertising to individuals with similar interests or characteristics through services offered by third parties;
- developing new products or services or conducting analyses to enhance current products and services;
- reviewing the usage and operations of the Website and analyzing and improving the Website (we continually strive to improve the Website based on the information and feedback we receive from you);
- contacting you for legitimate business purposes;
- using personal information to invite individuals to take part in market research;
- where consent is not required by applicable law, for direct marketing purposes;
- protecting the security and functionality of the Website, including using personal information you provide to investigate any complaints received from you or from others about the Website or our products and services.
- Where you give us consent. This includes:
- where consent is required by applicable law, sending you direct marketing in relation to our relevant products and services, or other products and services provided by edX Boot Camps, our parent company, 2U, and its affiliated companies;
- on other occasions where we ask you for consent, using the data for the purpose which we explain at that time.
- For purposes which are required by law. This includes:
- in response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation;
- using personal information in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary, including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation.
Processing Information at the Direction of the School
In some instances, edX Boot Camps may collect and process your personal information at the direction of the School, for instance processing certain of your application materials or applicable loan documentation from the School.
Use of De-identified, Aggregate or Anonymized Information
How We Disclose Your Information
edX Boot Camps shares your information with other entities or individuals in the following limited circumstances:
- 2U, Inc. and its affiliates: Where you have expressed interest or given your consent, we share your information with 2U, Inc. and its affiliated companies to provide you with information about other educational programs.
- Service Providers: We share your information with third parties that provide business, professional, or technical support functions for us. In particular, we use third-party providers for website hosting, maintenance, marketing services, courier services, certification services, business operations, payment services, and identity verification services (“Service Providers”). These Service Providers are only given access to your information to the extent necessary to process your information and/or provide services to edX Boot Camps, and they are prohibited from using or sharing your information for any other purposes. Where permitted by law, edX Boot Camps discloses limited information about you to Service Providers to serve relevant advertising on third party platforms to you or to other audiences.
- Your Employer or Sponsor or their Designee: We share your information with your employer or sponsor, or someone designated by them, in the event that such third-party is paying for your Program. Information disclosed in this case shall include Program performance information, unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing with edX Boot Camps.
- Potential Employers: Where you choose to work with our career services team, we will share your information with potential employers. Information disclosed in this case shall include your resume, employer-ready materials that you prepare (e.g., your portfolio), your LinkedIn profile, or other information that you make available to edX Boot Camps.
- Fraud; Security: We access and disclose your information to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or other technical issues.
- Consent; Other: We share information with third parties when we have your consent or otherwise as described to you at the point of collection.
- International Transfers: We may transfer personal information from your location to other countries, including Australia, Canada, the European Economic Area, Mexico, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the United States, where our employees and/or servers are located. Where your personal information is transferred outside of the country where you are located, such information is adequately protected by an adequacy decision by EU authorities, Standard Contractual Clauses, or a Service Provider’s Binding Corporate Rules. A copy of the relevant mechanism can be provided for your review on request to privacy@2U.com.
Information Security and Data Retention
We are committed to protecting the security of your information. We maintain what we believe to be appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure your information and to prevent unauthorized access, maintain accuracy, and ensure appropriate use of your information. The accuracy, safety, and security of your information also depend on you. Where we have given you – or where you have chosen – a password for access to any parts of the Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask that you not share your password with anyone. Even though we do our best to protect your information, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure, and we cannot guarantee our security measures. We are not responsible for any unauthorized access to or acquisition of your information.
We retain your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. We also may retain your personal information for a longer period of time which enables us to:
- Maintain business records for analysis and/or audit purposes;
- Comply with record retention requirements under the law;
- Defend or bring any existing or potential legal claims;
- Address any complaints regarding the services;
- Enforce our commercial agreements; and
Accessing and Managing Your Personal Information
If you have created a profile or are enrolled in a Program, you may access your personal information through your user profile.
In some instances, you may be eligible to (a) ask us for a copy of your personal information; (b) correct, delete, or restrict processing of your personal information; and/or (c) obtain the personal information you provide to us in a structured, machine readable format. In addition, you may have the right under applicable law to object to the processing of your personal information in some circumstances.
Your rights regarding your personal information may be limited, for example, if fulfilling your request would reveal personal information about another person or would infringe the rights of a third party (including our rights), or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping. We will inform you of the relevant exemption upon which we rely when responding to any request you make.
Our use of certain personal information is necessary for us to provide information to you about the Program or to provide services to you through the Website or otherwise. If you choose not to provide this personal information or request that edX Boot Camps delete or restrict the processing of this personal information, you may not be able to participate in the Program, and we may not be able to provide you with other services, including those provided through the Website or advertised about the Program.
If you wish to access, manage, or delete your information as described in this section, please fill out edX Boot Camps’ Data Request Form. If you believe your rights regarding your personal information have been infringed upon, please contact us privacy@2U.com. Individuals with unresolved concerns who are located in certain jurisdictions — including the EU, Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, South Africa, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom — have the right to lodge a complaint with their applicable data protection authority.
You may have specific rights relating to the disclosure of any personal information that you provide to us and/or education records that we may create about you under the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (“FERPA”). You also may have specific rights under FERPA related to accessing and/or updating your personal information. Certain information may be excluded from education records made available for inspection, within the bounds of the law and our confidentiality undertakings with third parties. You may also request amendment of education records that you believe are inaccurate, misleading or in violation of your rights. If you would like to inspect and review your education records pursuant to FERPA, you may submit a request to the School’s FERPA office. Any FERPA-protected information will be processed by edX Boot Camps at the direction of the School and will not be used for targeted advertising.
Public Forums; Publicly Available Content
Any information you may disclose through the Website on message boards, in chat rooms, or on other public areas, such as on webinars that you may attend about the Program, may be viewed by others, including your classmates and learning facilitators. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these public areas. If you do not want edX Boot Camps to store metadata associated with your content, please remove the metadata before uploading your content.
Third-Party Content, Links, and Plug-Ins
Governing Law / International Users
If you are not satisfied with our response to your question or concern, you can refer it to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (https://www.oaic.gov.au).
If you reside in the EU, you can contact our EU representative at DataRep, The Cube, Monahan Road, Cork, T12 H1XY, Republic of Ireland, email@example.com. If you reside in the UK, you can contact our UK representative at 2U Group (UK) LTD, ℅ Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP, 22 Bishopsgate, London, United Kingdom, EC2N 4BQ, +44 20 3457 5774, privacy@2U.com.
To make a request to delete or access personal data, or for more information about the personal data edX Boot Camps has about you, use edX Boot Camps’ Data Request Form.